Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Gracious, Sweet Words

Proverbs 16:13, 21, 23-24: Righteous lips are the delight of a king, and he loves him who speaks what is right . . . The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness . . . The heart of the wise makes his speech judicious and adds persuasiveness to his lips. Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

These proverbs encourage righteous, discerning, persuasive, gracious, and sweet words that flow out of a wise, transformed heart!

What are gracious words?

1. True words: Ephesians 4:25: having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor

2. Bible words: Speak God's Word to one another and remind one another of God's precious truth and promises: Ephesians 5:18-21: And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

3. Loving words: 1 Corinthians 13:1-3: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4. Humble words: 1 Peter 5:5: Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

5. Helpful words: Proverbs 15:1: A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

6. Right time words: Proverbs 15:23: A man finds joy in giving an apt reply – and how good is a timely word!

7. Right tone words: Use a tone that conveys love and humility, compassion and care. Or stern warning words!

8. Clear words: Someone said: "Men like John the Baptist and Jesus were not put to death because they were unclear!"

9. Thankful words: 1 Thessalonians 5:18: Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Samuel Sey: "One of the greatest evidences of a humble heart is a grateful tongue. When I'm not grateful for what I have, it's because I proudly think God owes me more than he's richly given me in Christ. I want a heart that beats in humility and a tongue that sings in gratitude."

10. Encouraging words: 1 Thessalonians 4:17-18: and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

11. Repentant words: Luke 18:13-14: But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.

No comments: