Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Saturday, September 28, 2019

He Spared Not His Own Son

We are told that God the Father did not "spare" (φείδομαι) His own Son on the cross: "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all . . . ." Romans 8:32

What does it mean for the judging, angry God not to spare someone? The same word for "spare" in the LXX (Greek translation of the Old Testament) is used the following ways against God's enemies - hint, hint - it includes the personal anger of God toward them:

"He made a path for his anger; he did not spare them from death, but gave their lives over to the plague." Psalm 78:50

"And I will dash them one against another, fathers and sons together, declares the LORD. I will not pity or spare or have compassion, that I should not destroy them." Jeremiah 13:14

"He shall strike them down with the edge of the sword. He shall not pity them or spare them or have compassion." Jeremiah 21:7

"Therefore, as I live, declares the Lord GOD, surely, because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your detestable things and with all your abominations, therefore I will withdraw. My eye will not spare, and I will have no pity. A third part of you shall die of pestilence and be consumed with famine in your midst; a third part shall fall by the sword all around you; and a third part I will scatter to all the winds and will unsheathe the sword after them. Thus shall my anger spend itself, and I will vent my fury upon them and satisfy myself. And they shall know that I am the LORD - that I have spoken in my jealousy - when I spend my fury upon them." Ezekiel 5:11-13

"Now the end is upon you, and I will send my anger upon you; I will judge you according to your ways, and I will punish you for all your abominations. And my eye will not spare you, nor will I have pity, but I will punish you for your ways . . . ." Ezekiel 7:3-4

"Now I will soon pour out my wrath upon you, and spend my anger against you, and judge you according to your ways, and I will punish you for all your abominations. And my eye will not spare, nor will I have pity." Ezekiel 7:8-9

"Therefore I will act in wrath. My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity." Ezekiel 8:18

Praise God that Jesus took THIS judgment that we deserve for our sins upon Himself on that cross, so that we will never endure the personal anger of God in hell! WE WILL BE SPARED BECAUSE HE WAS NOT SPARED!

Hallelujah! What a Savior!

No comments: