Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Saturday, December 9, 2023

The Army Navy Game And Thanksgiving To God


The Army Navy Game is today, and it reminds me of what God graciously did for me & in me during my years in college at the Naval Academy:

God (our triune God!) introduced me to Christian campus ministries like Baptist Student Union (BSU) and Officers' Christian Fellowship (OCF) and godly leaders and their wives like Tom and Melissa Clemmons, Kirk and Deborah Ritchey, Tom and Mary Thompson, and Bob and Libby Underhill who loved me and mentored me and taught me and showed me what it means to pursue God with all my heart. Thank you all so much for discipling me and helping me follow Jesus. (On discipling, see Mark Dever: Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4)

God showed me my pride and introduced me to my desperate need for humility (and He deeply humbled me!), showing me I should only boast in the cross ("But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (Galatians 6:14)). Col. Art Athens' talk on humility was amazing. A study like this on the different characteristics of proud and humble people was very helpful and challenging.

God introduced me to "cold turkey evangelism" - just going up to random people on the beach and talking to them about Jesus Christ, the God-Man (thanks Tom Clemmons! - remember the frisbees with the Gospel printed on the back!) I read my first book on evangelism by Mack Stiles called Speaking of Jesus. Col. Art Athens' article, provocatively titled "Go To Hell!", was a powerful motivation for evangelism as well. God, through His Word and by His Spirit, saves sinners!

God introduced me to the five points of Calvinism (which are actually just straight up what Jesus teaches). Thanks Benjamin Selph, a fellow Midshipman, who introduced me to these wonderful truths and gave me book after book on the absolute sovereignty of God in and over all things. This teaching totally revolutionized my view of God and how I read the Bible! It also gave me a hunger and thirst for God and theology I'd never had before which ultimately led to me becoming a pastor. God is a great God! He's a powerful God! He's the almighty God! He's the totally and absolutely sovereign God! "Salvation belongs to the LORD!" (Jonah 2:9). I write more about many truths that God has taught me in a Thanksgiving article here.

God introduced me to some great Reformed authors - R. C. Sproul, John Piper, Mark Dever (I actually got to join the church where he pastors in Washington D. C.), Matthew Henry (I remember having no idea who he was, but I found a study Bible with his notes in it. I called Ben and asked if Matthew Henry was a good dude. Ben and his father laughed!), A. W. Pink, Louis Berkhof, Loraine Boettner, Charles Spurgeon, and others.

God introduced me to several dear brothers and sisters in Christ who encouraged me and helped me walk with Jesus. I've been able to stay in touch with some of them, and they pray for me and encourage me in Christ to this day. I also got to see God transform one of my roommate's lives from a Roman Catholic to a true, genuine, born again Christian who now has a beautiful, godly, loving family that lives for the glory of King Jesus!

God introduced me to reading through the Bible regularly.

God introduced me to the serious fight against sin in my life by the power of the Holy Spirit.

God introduced me to Mark Dever and the wonderful ministry of Capitol Hill Baptist Church where we drove each Sunday and eventually joined as members.

God introduced me to the ministry of John Piper, Desiring God, and Christian Hedonism - again totally revolutionizing my views and understanding of God and teaching me that "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him!"

Later, long after graduation, God answered a prayer of mine and allowed me to officiate my first wedding and preach the Gospel in the Naval Academy Chapel.

There were many more graces God blessed me with during those years, I'm sure. Thank You Father God! You are a good, good Father! The Army Navy game reminds me of these blessings.

Go Navy! Beat Army!

To learn more about the great King Jesus and His glorious Gospel message, please watch American Gospel: Christ Alone. You can watch the full documentary here with a free, 3 day trial.






No comments: