Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Saturday, July 11, 2020

The False "I Am" Of Joel Osteen And The True "I AM" Who Alone Can Save!


By God's grace, I've been preaching on the beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12) and noticing how they are so diametrically opposed to what the wicked health, wealth, and prosperity false gospel preachers teach. Blessed are those who are poor in spirit, blessed are those who mourn, and blessed are those who are persecuted (to name a few)? Really? Yes!

I listened to a Joel Osteen sermon recently in which he encourages his hearers to be very careful about what they say after the phrase, "I am" because what follows the "I am" follows you. He warns not to speak negative words after the "I am" but positive words like: 

"I am strong, I am healthy, I am talented, I am disciplined, I am focused, I am prosperous, I am getting younger, I am attractive!"


It's very sad that so many people are so deceived by this. It's very sad that Joel Osteen takes millions of dollars from people teaching these ridiculous lies. It's very sad that in a sermon on the phrase "I am" he does not even once mention all the great "I Am" statements of the Lord Jesus Christ Who is the great "I AM" Who came in the flesh to die on the cross for sinners and rise from the dead so that all who repent and believe in Him might be saved. 

Please pray that he and his followers would repent and be saved by believing in the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.

What does God's Word actually teach? What have faithful followers of the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ actually said after their "I am" statements in the Bible? Come and see:

Isaac: "I am old" (Genesis 27:2)

Jacob: "I am not worthy" (Genesis 32:10)

Moses: "I am not able" (Numbers 11:14)

Joshua: "I am now old" (Joshua 23:2)

Gideon: "I am the least in my father's house" 
(Judges 6:15)

David: "I am a poor man and have no reputation"
(1 Samuel 18:23)

David: "I am in great distress" (1 Chronicles 21:13)

Solomon: "I am but a little child" (1 Kings 3:7)

Mephibosheth: "He bowed down, and said, 'What is your servant, that you should look on such a dead dog as I am?'" (2 Samuel 9:8)
 
Elijah: "I am no better than my fathers" (1 Kings 19:4)

Ezra: "I am ashamed" (Ezra 9:6)

Job: "I am of small account" (Job 40:4)

David: "I am weary with my moaning" (Psalm 6:6)

David: "I am a worm and not a man" (Psalm 22:6)

David: "I am poor and needy" (Psalm 40:17)

Isaiah: "I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips" (Isaiah 6:5)

Jeremiah: "I am lost" (Lamentations 3:54)

John the Baptist: "I am not worthy" (Matthew 3:11)

Roman Centurion: "I am not worthy to have you come under my roof" (Matthew 8:8) 
 
The Syrophoenician Woman: "But she answered him, 'Yes, Lord; yet even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs.'" (Mark 7:28) [Essentially, she said: "Yes, I am a dog."]
 
Peter: "I am a sinful man" (Luke 5:8)

Prodigal Son: "I am no longer worthy to be called your son" (Luke 15:19)

Paul: "I am of the flesh, sold under sin" (Romans 7:14)

Paul: "Wretched man that I am!" (Romans 7:24)

Paul: "I am the least of the apostles" 
(1 Corinthians 15:9)

Paul: "I am the very least of all the saints" 
(Ephesians 3:8)

Paul: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost" (1 Timothy 1:15)

Beloved, only God speaks things into existence. God's Word doesn't teach that we can. And God's people use "I am" statements to humble themselves under the mighty hand of God, Who opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble (1 Peter 5:5).

May we be a people who are held captive by the Word of God and who rejoice in the great I AM - the Lord Jesus Christ. And may we rejoice in Him for Who He is and for what He did, not for the health, wealth, and prosperity He can give us.

Jesus said:

"I am the bread of life." (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51) 
"I am the light of the world." (John 8:12) 
"Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58)
"I am the door of the sheep." (John 10:7,9) 
"I am the resurrection and the life." (John 11:25) 
"I am the good shepherd." (John 10:11, 14)
"I am the way, the truth, and the life." (John 14:6) 
"I am the true vine." (John 15:1, 5)

Hallelujah! What a Savior!

To learn more about the true Gospel and the dangers of the health, wealth, and prosperity false gospel, please watch the excellent documentary American Gospel: Christ Alone. You can also watch it here on Amazon, and here is a free, one hour version on Youtube. You can also watch the whole documentary for free here with a free, 3 day trial.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to Gods Word The Great I Am.

Joseph Randall said...

Yes!