Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Saturday, September 28, 2019

The Prophets And The Cross

The prophets are so helpful in understanding exactly what Jesus endured on the cross for sinners. 

Since Jesus was made sin (law-breaking and idolatry) on the cross (2 Corinthians 5:21), the favor of His Father was withdrawn from Him; He was not pitied or spared (Romans 8:32), the sword of the LORD was raised against Jesus (Zechariah 13:7); He was made a reproach and a taunt in the sight of all who passed by (Mark 15:29); He was punished in ANGER; and all God's wrath and ANGER was spent on Christ on the cross. Only then was the Father's anger turned away from us. That's penal substitution. That's the Gospel. No hope without it.

"You have been more unruly than the nations around you and have not followed my decrees or kept my laws . . . I myself will withdraw my favor; I will not look on you with pity or spare you . . . I will scatter to the winds and pursue with drawn sword. Then my anger will cease and my wrath against them will subside, and I will be avenged. And when I have spent my wrath upon them, they will know that I the LORD have spoken in my zeal. I will make you a ruin and a reproach among the nations around you, in the sight of all who pass by. You will be a reproach and a taunt, a warning and an object of horror to the nations around you when I inflict punishment on you in anger and in wrath and with stinging rebuke. I the LORD have spoken." Ezekiel 5:7,11,12-15

No comments: