Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

May Christ Be Great, Not Us!

Spurgeon wrote:
Young person, seeking great things for yourself, Christ counsels, "Do not seek them."  I remember that as a young man I was ambitious.  I was seeking to go to college, to leave my congregation in the wilderness that I might become something great.  As I was out walking, this text came with power to my heart, "Do you seek great things for yourself?  Do not seek them" (Jer. 45:5).  "Lord," I said, "I will follow Your counsel and not my own plans."  I have never had cause to regret that decision.  Always take the Lord for your guide, and you will never be wrong.
Charles Spurgeon, Beside Still Waters, Ed. Roy Clarke (Nashville:  Thomas Nelson, 1999), 361. 

No comments: