Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Christ Is All In Sermons!

Lord willing, I'll preach on Colossians 3:11 tomorrow. Here are some gems I found while studying:
John Piper: [Christ is all] is the death [blow] to racism. Why do we despise? Or hate? Or shun? Or avoid? Or disparage? Or distort? Is it not because we are weak and fearful and insecure and proud and angry and without deep peace and love in our souls? Do those ugly things come from people whose treasure is an all-satisfying fellowship with Christ? I think not.

Therefore, what we need is to reckon ourselves dead to all but Christ as the satisfaction of our souls. We need to love him so much and find in his fellowship such completeness that we speak like the psalmists:

"I say to the LORD, 'Thou art my Lord; I have no good apart from thee'" (Psalm 16:2).

And: "Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is nothing upon earth that I desire besides thee. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:24-25).

Or like the old hymn writer says: "Jesus is all the world to me, my life, my joy, my all."

O to be a church full of people who sing that and mean that and live that! Jesus is all the world to me, my life, my joy, my all. Christ is all! In that fellowship, Paul says, there is no Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free, but Christ is all, and in all. Lord, grant us so to die and so to live that Christ might be all and in all.
John Piper, "Class, Culture, And Ethnic Identity In Christ," Colossians 3:5-17, January 17, 1999.

Spurgeon: If Christ is not all to you he is nothing to you. He will never go into partnership as a part Savior of men. If he be something he must be everything, and if he be not everything he is nothing to you.
Charles Spurgeon, "Christ Is All!," Colossians 3:11.

Spurgeon: I know you reply, "I have nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing; but Christ my Savior is all my salvation and all my desire, and I abhor the very idea of putting anything side by side with him as a ground of my dependence before God." Oh, then, assuredly you have the mark of Christ’s sheep, for to all of them Christ is all.

Spurgeon: I have never yet met with a person in any country who did not understand its meaning. "Money answereth all things," says the wise man, and this is true in a limited sense; but he that has Christ, has indeed all things: he has the essence, the substance of all good. I have only to plead the name of Jesus before the Father’s throne, and nothing desirable shall be denied me. If Christ is yours, all things are yours. God, who gave you Christ, has in that one gift summed up the total of all you will want for time and for eternity, to obliterate the sin of the past, to fulfill the needs of the present, and to perfect you for all the work and bliss of the future.

Spurgeon: Christ is all we need, all we desire, and all of good that we can conceive. He is all I need. Jesus is the living water to quench my thirst, the heavenly bread to satisfy my hunger, the snow-white robe to cover me, the sure refuge, the happy home of my soul, my meat and my medicine, my solace and my song, my light and my delight. He is all I desire, and when most covetous I only covet more of his presence; when most ambitious, it is my ambition to be like him; when most insatiable in desire, I only long to be with him where he is. He is all I can conceive of good. When my imagination stretches all her wings to take a flight into realms beyond where the eagle’s wing hath been, yet even then she reacheth not the height of the glory which Christ Jesus hath promised her; she cannot conceive with her most expanded powers of anything more rich and precious than Christ, her Christ, herself Christ's, and Christ all her own. Oh, if you want to know what heaven is, know what Christ is, for the way to spell heaven is with those five letters that make up the word Jesus. When you get him he shall be all to you that your glorified body shall need, and all your glorified spirit can conceive. O precious Christ, thou art all in all.
Charles Spurgeon, "Christ Is All!," Colossians 3:11

Spurgeon: Now, if Christ really is yours, and as Christ is all, then love Him, and honor Him, and praise Him. Mother, what were you doing this afternoon? Pressing that dear child of yours to your bosom, and saying, "She is my all?" Take back those words, for they are not true. If you love Christ, He is your all, and you cannot have another "all." Someone else has one who is very near and very dear. If you are that someone else, and you have said in your heart, "He is my all," or "She is my all," you have done wrong, for nothing and no one but Christ must be your "all." You will be an idolater, and you will grieve the Holy Spirit, if anything, or anyone, except Christ, becomes your "all."

Spurgeon: When you have all things, find Christ in all; and when you have lost all things, then find all things in Christ. I do not know, but I think that the latter is the better of the two.

Spurgeon: Now, if Christ be all, then, beloved brethren and sisters, let us live for him. If he is all, let us spend our strength, and be ready to lay down the last particle of it that we have, and to die for him; and then let us, whenever we need anything, go to him for it, for "Christ is all." Let us draw upon this bank, for its resources are infinite; we shall never exhaust them.
Charles Spurgeon, "Christ Is All!," Colossians 3:11

No comments: