Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Christ's Love Will Never Let Us Go!

The Schaefer Family writes:
On June 6, 1882, George Matheson, wrote, "I was at that time alone, it was the day of my sister's marriage . . . Something happened to me, which was known only to myself, and which caused me the most severe mental suffering. The hymn was the fruit of that suffering." The hymn he referred to is, "O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go." What was the suffering he was experiencing?

We do not know for sure, maybe it was thoughts of his own engagement that had been broken off when his fiancée learned that he would be completely blind soon.

Or maybe he was grieving the loss of his own sister’s closeness, who had studied Greek and Hebrew so she could assist him in his sermon preparation.

Nonetheless, we see that he started to think about the love of God and the cross of Christ and his thoughts were turned to blazing daylight.

No comments: