Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Christ Is Worth More Than All!

Today was my first day on the job as the new pastor of Olney Baptist Church. And this is what I need to remember every moment of every day . . .

John Piper preaches:
The noble army of martyrs are praising God with us this morning because they all said, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."

They all said, Christ is worth more than life.

Christ is worth more than falling in love.

Christ is worth more than marrying and having children.

Christ is worth more than seeing my children grow up and become independent.

Christ is worth more than making a name for myself.

Christ is worth more than finishing my career.

Christ is worth more than the dream spouse and the dream house and the dream cruise and the dream retirement.

Christ is worth more than all my unfinished plans and dreams.

All the martyrs said, "It is better to be cut off in the midst of my dreams, if I might gain Christ."
John Piper, The Noble Army of the Martyrs Praise Thee, Philippians 1:19-21, May 23, 1993.

No comments: