Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . has conquered . . . Revelation 5:5
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ . . . Galatians 6:14
You have been very angry with your Anointed One. Psalm 89:38
For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2
Let the motto upon your whole ministry be - "Christ is All!" - Cotton Mather

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

All Glory, Laud, And Honor Be To Christ Alone!

A monk rebuked Richard Wurmbrand for his pride in the following parable:
On Palm Sunday, when the Lord entered Jerusalem riding on a donkey, He was received with shouts of "Hosanna to the Son of David!" and with the waving of palm branches. That evening the donkey told his fellow donkeys in the stable: "If only you could have seen with what honor I was acclaimed in Jerusalem!

They called me "Son of David, King of the Jews." I had never before known the name of the donkey who was my father. I was very pleased to find out that he was called David. And the crowd seemed very determined to make me king! They threw their clothes before me on the road in order that I might walk on softness.

I suppose they will come tomorrow to enthrone me. I imagine that when a donkey becomes king, he gets plenty of hay and is not made to carry burdens anymore!"

As the monk finished the story, he looked at me significantly. "There are quite a few such donkeys. Young pastors are prone to believe that the honor they receive is for them."
Richard Wurmbrand, "Preaching for Eternity," Ministry (July 1994), 16.

Here's Martin Luther on this point:
If, however, you feel and are inclined to think you have made it, flattering yourself with your own little books, teaching, or writing, because you have done it beautifully and preached excellently; if you are highly pleased when someone praises you in the presence of others; if you perhaps look for praise, and would sulk or quit what you are doing if you did not get it—if you are of that stripe, dear friend, then take yourself by the ears, and if you do this in the right way you will find a beautiful pair of big, long, shaggy donkey ears.

Then do not spare any expense! Decorate them with golden bells, so that people will be able to hear you wherever you go, point their fingers at you, and say, “See, see! There goes that clever beast, who can write such exquisite books and preach so remarkably well.” That very moment you will be blessed and blessed beyond measure in the kingdom of heaven. Yes, in that heaven where hellfire is ready for the devil and his angels.
Martin Luther, LW 34:287-288.

HT: Justin Taylor

No comments: